Devised by Art Costa and Bena Kallick, the Habits of Mind provide a focus for students so that they are able to think intelligently when faced with problems where the answer is not immediately known. These are the kinds of problems faced every day by students who are on their way to becoming better learners.
The Habits of Mind describe the thinking processes that allow students to be far more successful than ever before. Training a student's mind to think in the Habits of Mind will allow them to solve academic problems successfully, solve social problems successfully and to improve the overall quality of everything that they try , at school and beyond. A person successfully employing the Habits of Mind will act intelligently when faced with difficult problems or questions.
- Adrian Rennie Implementing the Habits of Mind, A practical approach for classroom teachers.
Parents wanting more information are welcome to visit the following web sites: http://www.instituteforhabitsofmind.com/
The sixteen habits devised by Art Costa and Bena Kallick are:
2. Managing Impulsivity
3. Listening with Understanding and Empathy
4. Thinking Flexibly
5. Thinking about your Thinking
6. Striving for Accuracy
7. Questioning and Problem Solving
8. Applying past Knowledge to new Situations
9. Thinking and Communicating with Clarity and Precision
10. Gather Data Through all Senses
11. Creating, Imagining and Innovating
12. Responding with Wonderment and Awe
13. Taking Responsible Risks
14. Finding Humour
15. Thinking Interdependently
16. Remaining Open to Continuous Learning